Nurse technicians are a vital part of a patient's nursing team. They work under the supervision of registered nurses and are involved in treatment and grooming care of patients.
Educational Requirements: An applicant may be qualified if they have completed one of the following educational requirements: UPDATE HTML ONCE CSS IF FIXED
1. Complete a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) or
patient care technician (PCT) training program outside of Saint Francis Health System (see a sampling of programs below). This allows the candidate to move directly into a Nurse Tech position and only requires three (3) days of training through the Saint Francis Education Department as well as orientation on the unit.
2. Be actively enrolled in a nursing program with at least one (1) semester of clinicals complete. This classification is a Nurse Tech-Nursing Student. This also only requires three (3) days of training through the Saint Francis Education Department as well as orientation on the unit.
3. Complete the Nurse Tech Training Program through Saint Francis Health System. The program is offered four (4) times a year with a limited number of spots available. No previous training or related experience is required because the class is five (5) weeks of training through the Saint Francis Education Department.
This is an unlicensed position.
Typical Duties: They perform the following skills (not all-inclusive) for a varied group of patients per shift such as activities of daily living (bed bath, shower assistance, oral hygiene, bed making, lifting and transfers, feeding, etc.) as well as assisting patients with:
- Vital Signs
- Pulse Oximetry
- Intakes and Outputs
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Applying Patient Restraints
- Assist Patients with Incentive Spirometer
- Skin Care
- Ostomoy Pouch Care
- Catheter Care
- Discontinue IV
Learn How to Become a Nurse Technician
Contact your local college or trade/vocational school for more information on enrolling in a local CNA training program. Some local not-for-profit programs include Tulsa Community College
and Tulsa Tech