Perform preliminary screening examinations for physician review including, but not limited to determination of chief complaint and medical history, visual acuity distance and near extra ocular motility, confrontation visual fields, pupil examination, lensometry, keratometry, refractometry, Goldman and tonopen tonometry, pachymetry, Schirmer’s tear testing, Ishihara color testing, stereo vision testing and eye dominance determination. Other duties include:
- Administer diagnostic eye drops as needed.
- Examine the cornea, lens and anterior chamber of the eye using a slit lamp and note variations from normal.
- Perform specialized testing including, but not limited to Humphrey automated central and peripheral visual fields, corneal topography, Wavefront Analysis, Ocular Coherence Tomography, DGH pachymetry, Humphrey Biometer and IOL Master.
- Assist physician for LASIK and other in office surgical procedures. Program treatments and “cut” plastic weekly to check calibration of laser. Order supplies and treatment cards for use with lasers.
- Sterilize and set up instruments for ophthalmic surgical procedures; assist with minor office surgery, laser treatments and operating room surgery as required.
- Prepare charts for daily appointments, direct the flow of patients examined by physician; act as scribe for physician by recording examination data and provide support and education to patient as directed by physician.
- Be aware of coding and compliance issues and follow guidelines for charting and examination protocols all while protecting patient privacy as dictated by HIPPA regulations.
- Calibrate and maintain all instruments used including, but not limited to bio-microscopes, lensometer, keratometer, tangent screen, slit lamp and tonometer’s; clean and stock consultation room and surgery room with drugs and other supplies as needed.