Depression varies from person to person, but there are some common signs and symptoms. It’s important to remember that these symptoms can be part of life’s normal lows. But the more symptoms you have, the stronger they are, and the longer they’ve lasted — the more likely it is that you’re dealing with depression. When these symptoms are overwhelming and disabling, that's when it's time to seek help.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness – A bleak outlook; nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.
- Loss of interest in daily activities – No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.
- Appetite or weight changes – Significant weight loss or weight gain – a change of more than five percent of body weight in a month.
- Sleep changes – Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia).
- Anger or irritability – Feeling agitated, restless or even violent. Your tolerance level is low, your temper short and everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
- Loss of energy – Feeling fatigued, sluggish and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete.
- Self-loathing – Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Reckless behavior – You engage in escapist behavior such as substance abuse, compulsive gambling, reckless driving or dangerous sports.
- Concentration problems – Trouble focusing, making decisions or remembering things.
- Unexplained aches and pains – An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles and stomach pain.
Learn More About Laureate Psychiatric Clinic
Please call the Outpatient Clinic with questions, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 918-491-3700. Laureate Hospital is available 24 hours/7 days for all emergencies at 918-481-4000.