Schizophrenia is a serious disorder which affects how a person thinks, feels and acts. At Laureate Psychiatric Clinic and Hospital
, we encourage early treatment for a better long-term outcome.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
People with schizophrenia vary widely in their behavior as they struggle with an illness beyond their control. Symptoms include:
- Delusions/false ideas
- Disordered thinking
- Social withdrawal
- Extreme apathy
- Lack of drive or initiative
- Emotional unresponsiveness
Treatment for Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia treatment involves medications and therapy to reduce the risk of future psychotic episodes and improve relationships. Although medications are the cornerstone of schizophrenia treatment, once psychosis recedes, psychosocial treatments also are important.
Psychosocial treatments include:
- Social skills training - focuses on improving communication and social interactions
- Family therapy - provides support and education to families dealing with schizophrenia
- Vocational rehabilitation and supported employment - helps people with schizophrenia find and keep jobs
- Individual therapy - learning to cope with stress and identify early warning signs of relapse can help manage schizophrenia
With appropriate treatment, schizophrenia is manageable.
Learn More About Schizophrenia Services at Laureate Psychiatric Clinic and Hospital
Please call the Outpatient Clinic with questions, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 918-491-3700.
Laureate Hospital is available 24/7 for all emergencies at 918-481-4000.