Thank you for visiting the Saint Francis Health System Media Policy page. The Saint Francis Marketing Department responds to media inquiries for all of Saint Francis Health System. This includes every department or physician office within the following:
- Saint Francis Hospital;
- The Children’s Hospital at Saint Francis;
- Heart Hospital at Saint Francis;
- Warren Clinic (physician offices and urgent care facilities);
- Saint Francis Hospital South;
- Laureate Psychiatric Clinic and Hospital; and
- Saint Francis Home Care Companies.
Media Policies and Procedures
The Saint Francis Marketing Department handles all public relations and corporate communications. A marketing representative can be reached during normal business hours, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday at 918-494-1448. After hours, a representative can be reached by calling the main hospital operator at 918-494-2200 and asking for the marketing representative on-call.
Patient Condition Reports
Saint Francis Health System follows federal guidelines regarding patient confidentiality as outlined by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPPA) of 1996. Patient health information will be released to the media in strict accordance with HIPAA. This ensures our organization safeguards the privacy and integrity of our patients and their personal health information.
One-word conditions are permitted so long as requesting media outlets provide the first and last name of the patient in question. The conditions are defined as:
- UNDETERMINED - Patient is awaiting, or in the middle of, physician assessment.
- NO INFORMATION - A patient or patient representative has requested that no information be released.
- GOOD - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- FAIR - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- SERIOUS - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- CRITICAL - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious and indicators are unfavorable.
Condition reports are not available for patients at Laureate Psychiatric Clinic and Hospital.
Please note that patients involved in matters of public record, such as those involved in an assault or other crimes, are often listed on “protective status.”
Marketing representatives cannot provide any information pertaining to the patient’s condition, or even confirm they are in the hospital. In some of these cases, media inquiries may be referred to a more appropriate public agency.
For Media Coming to a Saint Francis Health System Facility
- Advance notice is required on all media interviews or photographs with Saint Francis Health System patients, administrators, physicians and employees- those requests must be cleared through the Marketing Department.
- All patients or legal guardians must sign a consent form before any media will be allowed to shoot photos or video.
- To ensure the confidentially of our patients, members of the media must be accompanied by a member of Saint Francis Marketing, or a Marketing designated representative, while on the property of any Saint Francis Health System facility.
- Any members of the media who enter a Saint Francis Health System property without clearance, within context of conducting a media story, will be asked to leave campus until proper clearance is received through the marketing office.
High Profile and/or Mass Casualty Events
In case of a high profile events and/or large scale incidents or disasters within the community, media will not be permitted in any emergency room or patient care areas. A designated location may be provided on hospital grounds for media updates. In some instances, media information may also be centralized through a city/county emergency response agency.
For Visiting Community Organizations and Groups
Outside community groups visiting The Children’s Hospital at Saint Francis or any other Saint Francis Health System facility for special events or charitable purposes must also arrange and receive permission from the Saint Francis Marketing Department before sending out any press information promoting their visit. Please contact 918-494-1448
at least two weeks in advance of the event or visit.
Access to Patient Care Areas
Media access may be limited or denied to any area of any Saint Francis Health System location at the discretion of a patient’s healthcare team and/or the Marketing Department.