If you are thinking about having breast reconstruction surgery, it is a good idea to discuss it with your surgeon and plastic surgeon before a mastectomy. This allows surgical teams time to plan the treatment that is best for you, even if you decide to wait and have reconstructive surgery at a later date.
Also, write down questions in advance of your medical appointments, and be sure to take good notes during these appointments. It may help to bring a trusted friend or family member along to take notes for you.
Some frequently asked question about breast reconstruction:
- What is the latest information about the safety of silicone breast implants?
- Which type of surgery would give me the best results? Why? How will I look afterward?
- What is the average cost of each type? Does my insurance cover them?
- How much experience do you (the plastic surgeon) have with this procedure?
- When can my reconstruction begin?
- How many surgeries will I need?
View this printable list of questions to ask your doctor. To view and print this list, you will need the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader® software.