Warren Clinic Osteoporosis Center, located inside Saint Francis Breast Health Services, is dedicated to preventing, identifying and treating osteoporosis. With numerous methods for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, Warren Clinic Osteoporosis Center aims to maximize bone health. A comprehensive treatment program includes a focus on proper nutrition, exercise and safety issues to prevent falls that may result in fractures. In addition, the physician may prescribe medication to slow or stop bone loss, increase bone density and reduce fracture risk.
Certain risk factors are linked with the development of osteoporosis or contribute to an individual’s likelihood of developing the disease. Many people with osteoporosis have several of these risk factors and others who develop osteoporosis have no identified risk factors.
Risk Factors You Cannot Change
Risk Factors You Can Change
- Gender: Chances of developing osteoporosis are greater, if you are a woman. Women have less bone tissue and lose bone more rapidly than men because of the changes involved in menopause.
- Age: The older you are, the greater your risk of osteoporosis.
- Body Size: Small, thin-boned women are at a greater risk.
- Ethnicity: Caucasian and Asian women are at highest risk. African American and Latino women have a lower but significant risk.
- Family History: Susceptibility to fracture may be hereditary. People whose parents have a history of fractures also seem to have reduced bone mass and may be at risk for fractures.
- Sex Hormones: Absence of menstrual periods, low estrogen levels and low testosterone in men.
- A lifetime diet low in calcium and vitamin D
- Use of certain medications, such as glucocorticoids or some anticonvulsants
- Inactive lifestyle or extended bed rest
- Excessive use of alcohol
Learn More About Warren Clinic Osteoporosis Center
Please call us with questions or to schedule an appointment at the location nearest you.
Warren Clinic Osteoporosis Center – Tulsa
6475 South Yale Avenue
Natalie Medical Building, Suite 410
Warren Clinic Osteoporosis Center – Broken Arrow
2950 South Elm Place, Suite 260
Broken Arrow, OK 74012 [Map location]