- Never leave an infant unattended on a changing table.
- Never leave an infant unattended.
- Lay infant on his/her back.
- Keep fluffy blankets out of the crib.
- Never prop up infant's bottle.
- Always use an approved car seat and keep child buckled in.
- Do not feed the infant popcorn, beans, candies (M&Ms, etc.), gum or nuts until he/she is able to chew thoroughly.
- Make sure your infant's toys are age-appropriate.
- Teach the child the meaning of "hot" and "cold."
- Keep kitchen cabinets latched.
- Keep all chemicals or harmful substances in tight containers out of reach and sight of the toddler.
- If you have a gun in the house, always keep it unloaded and locked up.
- Never leave a small child alone in the bathtub; make sure the water is always kept at a safe depth and temperature.
- Keep stairs guarded with gates to prevent falls.
- Have smoke detectors in the home. Make sure the batteries are charged and the detectors are in working order.