CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS, FETAL DEMISE
TURNAROUND TIME: 21 to 28 days
TESTING METHODOLOGY: Chromosome analysis of metaphase cells
- Collect: villus tissue from the placenta in sterile 15 ml conical tube with sterile tissue culture medium or sterile saline.
- Alternate specimens: biopsies of skin, umbilical cord or other tissues may also be submitted but do not remain viable as long as villi; must be in sterile 15 ml or 50 ml conical tube with sterile tissue culture medium or sterile saline.
- Min. Collection: 3 x 3 mm tissue
- Transport: specimen in sterile fluid at 20-25oC
- Stability: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: unacceptable
- Unacceptable Conditions: Frozen or clotted specimens; specimens in non-sterile fluids and containers
A Cytogenetics Laboratory Test Requisition must accompany the specimen. Contact the Cytogenetics Laboratory at 918-502-1722 to obtain further information.
Methods: Giemsa band (G-band) analysis at approximately a 400 - 500 band level; 2 karyotypes, analysis of 5 metaphase cells and count of 20 metaphase cells
Test Variables: This study involves culturing of living cells. Therefore, turnaround times given represent average times which are subject to multiple variables.
Indications for Use:
- To identify constitutional chromosome abnormalities associated with fetal demise