CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS, LEUKEMIC BLOOD
TURNAROUND TIME: 7 to 10 days
TESTING METHODOLOGY: Chromosome analysis of metaphase cells
- Collect: 5-10 mL peripheral blood in sodium heparin (green) for children and adults; 2 mL peripheral blood in sodium heparin (green) for newborns; generally acceptable only if WBC > 10,000 and immature myeloid or lymphoid cells > 10%
- Min. Collection: 1 mL for newborns; 3-5 mL for children and adults
- Transport: peripheral blood in sodium heparin (green) at 20-25oC; specimen should arrive in the laboratory within 24 hours of collection
- Stability: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: unacceptable
- Unacceptable Conditions: Frozen or clotted specimens; specimens in anticoagulants other than sodium heparin
Methods: Giemsa band (G-band) analysis at approximately a 400 band level; 2 karyotypes, analysis of 20 metaphase cells and count of 20 metaphase cells.
Test Variables: This study involves culturing of living cells. Therefore, turnaround times given represent average times which are subject to multiple variables.
Indications for Use:
- To identify acquired chromosome abnormalities frequently associated with specific types of hematologic malignancy.
- To evaluate patients with known acquired chromosome abnormalities for relapse.