CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS, PRODUCTS OF CONCEPTION
TURNAROUND TIME: 21 to 28 days.
TESTING METHODOLOGY: Chromosome analysis of metaphase cells
- Collect: tissue specimen or dissected villi in 15 ml or 50 ml conical tubes; sterile tissue culture medium or sterile saline must be used; specimen must be kept moist and sterile
- Min. Collection: 3 x 3 mm tissue
- Transport: specimen in sterile fluid at 20-25oC
- Stability: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: unacceptable
- Unacceptable Conditions: Frozen or clotted specimens; specimens in non-sterile fluids and containers
Methods: Giemsa band (G-band) analysis at approximately a 400 - 500 band level; 2 karyotypes, analysis of 5 metaphase cells and count of 20 metaphase cells
Test Variables: This study involves culturing of living cells. Therefore, turnaround times given represent average times which are subject to multiple variables.
Indications for Use:
• To identify constitutional chromosome abnormalities associated with spontaneous miscarriage in the first trimester