FISH ANALYSIS, ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA (AML) PROFILE
Pseudonyms: Acute Myeloid Leukemia Panel, AML Panel, AML
TURNAROUND TIME: 7 to 10 days
TESTING METHODOLOGY: Fluorescence in situ hybridization
- Collect: 2 mL bone marrow aspirate in sodium heparin (green); 5 mL peripheral blood in sodium heparin (green) also acceptable
- Minimum Collection: 1 mL bone marrow or 2 mL peripheral blood
- Transport: bone marrow or peripheral blood in sodium heparin (green) at 20-25°C; specimen should arrive in the laboratory within 24 hours of collection
- Stability: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: unacceptable
- Unacceptable Conditions: Frozen or clotted specimens; paraffin-embedded specimens; specimens in anticoagulants other than sodium heparin
A Cytogenetics Laboratory Test Requisition must accompany the specimen. Contact the Cytogenetics Laboratory at 918-502-1722 to obtain further information.
Test Summary: Probes included: PML/RARA, RUNX1/RUNX1T1 (AML1/ETO), CBFB and MLL
Methods: A dual-color dual-fusion FISH analysis performed on interphase cells using a probe for the PML gene on chromosome 15q22 and a probe for the RAR-alpha gene on chromosome 17q21; analysis of 200 interphase cells.
A dual-color, dual-fusion FISH analysis performed on interphase cells using a probe for the AML1 (RUNX1) gene on chromosome 21q22 and a probe for the ETO (RUNX1T1) gene on chromosome 8q22; analysis of 200 interphase cells.
A dual-color FISH analysis performed on interphase cells using a break-apart probe for the CBFB gene of chromosome 16q22 which can detect the inv(16)(p13q22) and t(16;16); analysis of 200 interphase cells.
A dual-color, break-apart FISH analysis performed on interphase cells using probes for 5' and 3' ends of the MLL gene on chromosome 11q23; analysis of 200 interphase cells.
Interpretation: A positive result is reported when the percent of cells with an abnormality exceeds the normal reference range for the probes. The detection of an abnormal clone indicates a diagnosis of AML with the specific chromosome abnormality. A negative result indicates no abnormality was observed but does not rule out the presence of a neoplastic disorder.
Reference Values: An interpretive report is provided for each probe set.
FDA Approval: This test is not approved by the FDA and it should used as an adjunct to other clinical and pathological information.
Indications for Use:
- Identify the 15;17 translocation, 8;21 translocation, chromosome 16 inversion, 16;16 translocation or 11q23 translocation in patients with suspected AML.
- Aid in determining disease prognosis and treatment options.