Tests included are: HD, SCA 1,2,3,6 & 7, DRPLA and FRDA
Gene Symbols: HTT, ATN1, FXN, ATXN 1,2,3,7
Chromosomal Locus: See individual tests
Pseudonyms: Ataxia, Neuromuscular
TURNAROUND TIME: 15 days
Different polymerase chain reactions (PCR) that brackets the trinucleotide repeat regions. See individual test pages for more details.
- Collect: Prefer two 5ml whole blood EDTA (lavender top) tube.
- Min. Collection: 0.7 ml whole blood EDTA.
- Transport: Blood EDTA at Room Temp shipped regular next day air (No Saturday delivery; store specimen at 4°C and ship Monday).
- Stability: Ambient: up to 7 days; Refrigerated: 2 weeks. Frozen: unacceptable
- Unacceptable Conditions: Serum. Frozen or severely hemolyzed blood. Clotted blood.
Prenatal testing: Direct: 5ml direct unspun amniotic fluid or 3mm3 CVS tissue with a backup flask growing. Culture: confluent T25 flask. Maternal blood sample is required for maternal cell contamination studies.
A Molecular Genetics Laboratory Test Requisition must accompany the specimen. Contact the Molecular Laboratory at 918-502-1721 to obtain further information.
Note: Counseling and informed consent are recommended for genetic testing. A consent form is available as a resource.
Incidence: Unknown, perhaps about 1 in 10,000.
Inheritance: Mostly autosomal dominant. Variable age of onset but complete penetrance.
See details on individual sheets
Molecular Genetic Mechanism: See details on individual sheets
Related Tests: SCA Panel, DRPLA, FRDA and HD
Clinical Sensitivity: 99%
Over 97% of ataxia conditions (by incidence) are encompassed by this panel.
Analytical Sensitivity: 99%
Test Limitations: This testing examines the trinucleotide repeat regions, exclusively. However, no other mechanism has been described for these conditions and the testing is considered diagnostic. Rare diagnostic errors can occur due to primer or probe site mutations or rare polymorphisms.
INDICATIONS FOR USE:
- Individuals with a family history of ataxias who want to determine their true risk.
- Families considering future medical and disability insurance needs.
- Individuals at risk who wish prenatal diagnosis.
- To determine whether individuals with an ataxia have one of these conditions
- To differentiate individuals with the ataxias.
OMIM - see specific tests