The Heart Hospital at Saint Francis in Tulsa, OK, performs state-of-the-art cardiac surgery to treat a variety of cardiovascular conditions and restore patient health and well-being. Thousands of people in the United States undergo cardiac surgery every day to treat complications caused by ischemic heart disease, a disease characterized by reduced blood supply of the heart muscle; to correct congenital heart disease; or to treat valvular heart disease, disorders of the tissue flaps that regulate the flow of blood through the chambers of the heart.
Life-saving cardiac surgery to restore heart health
Development of the heart-lung bypass machine made cardiac surgery possible to treat several forms of heart disease. The bypass machine provides circulation outside of your body during heart surgery to remove waste products from the blood and maintain a supply of oxygen.
There are different types of heart surgery provided at The Heart Hospital are designed to serve many purposes, including:
- Boost the heart's pumping power with muscles taken from the back or abdomen
- Bypass or widen blocked or narrowed arteries to the heart
- Create channels in the heart muscle to allow blood from a chamber directly into the heart muscle
- Destroy small amounts of tissue that disturb electrical flow through the heart
- Implant devices to regulate heart rhythms
- Repair aneurysms, or bulges in the aorta, which can be deadly if they burst
- Repair or replace the valves that control blood flow through the heart's chambers
- Replace the damaged heart with a heart from a donor
The two most common heart surgery procedures include heart valve surgery and coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG). Heart valve surgery is used to repair or replace diseased heart valves. During CABG, a healthy artery or vein from the body is connected, or grafted, to a blocked coronary artery. The grafted artery bypasses (or goes around) the blocked portion of the coronary artery. Cardiac surgery creates a new path for oxygen-rich blood to flow to the heart muscle. CABG can relieve chest pain and may lower heart attack risk.
Learn more about cardiac surgery at Saint Francis Health System
Explore our Heart Hospital at Saint Francis
and find the full spectrum of heart care available in Tulsa, OK. Find out more about our comprehensive Cardiac Rehab
program designed to support patients through recovery. For questions or to schedule a heart surgery consultation, please call us at 918-502-3200.