Anorexia nervosa is a complicated eating disorder, often rooted in both biological and psychological issues. At the Laureate Eating Disorders Program in Tulsa, OK, our innovative care philosophy helps you understand the causes of your condition - and provides the highly individualized anorexia treatment and support you need to enjoy lasting recovery.
Characteristics of Anorexia Nervosa
Certain behaviors can be characteristics of anorexia such as:
- Intense, increasing drive for thinness, resulting in severe emaciation
- Significant weight loss
- Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat
- Pronounced emotional changes
- Distorted body image
- Unusual food behaviors
- Anorexia is usually preceded by dieting behavior, including exercise
- Vicarious enjoyment of food (e.g., cooking it, serving it, being around it)
- For women: Cessation of the menstrual cycle (amenorrhea) for at least three months
- For men: Decreased sexual drive
Important Facts About Anorexia
- Typically develops in adolescence or young adulthood
- Affects about one in 2,400 adolescents
- 90-95 percent of affected individuals are female
- Usually preceded by dieting behavior, including exercise
- Psychological problems (e.g., low self-esteem) are displaced onto food
- Denial of the condition can be extreme
If you or your loved one shows signs of an eating disorder, there is help. Review the links below or contact the Laureate Eating Disorders clinic for more information.
Learn More About Our Eating Disorders Clinic
For more information about anorexia nervosa, and what makes our eating disorders program different, please call us at 800-322-5173 (918-491-3702 inside the Tulsa metro area). There is no cost for the screening call and no obligation to proceed with treatment.