Bulimia nervosa is characterized by binge eating, consuming large quantities of food in a way that feels out of control. The binge is followed by some form of purging, as a means to prevent weight gain.
At the Laureate Eating Disorders Program in Tulsa, OK, our highly skilled and compassionate care team is here to help you take control. We focus on getting to the causes of your condition - and providing the highly individualized bulimia treatment and proven therapies you need to enjoy lasting recovery.
Common Purging Behaviors
- Self-induced vomiting
- Laxative abuse
- Diuretic abuse
- Excessive exercise
Important Facts About Bulimia Nervosa
- Occurs in both women and men
- Typically develops in late adolescence to early adulthood
- Usually preceded by dieting behavior
- Individuals can be of average or above-average weight
- Self-evaluation unduly influenced by size and weight
- Complex lifestyle develops to accommodate eating disorder behaviors
- Ongoing feelings of isolation, self-deprecating thoughts, depression and low self-esteem
- Often, there is at least some recognition of the behavior as abnormal
Learn More About Our Eating Disorders Clinic
For more information about bulimia nervosa, and what makes our eating disorders program different, please call 800-322-5173 (918-491-3702 inside the Tulsa metro area). There is no cost for the screening call and no obligation to proceed with treatment.