1. Lower DHT levels: Prostate cells grow in response to the hormone Dihydro-testosterone. Production of this hormone from testosterone can be blocked with several prescription medications, or with the over-the-counter supplement Saw Palmetto. Lowering DHT is the most effective means for lowering the overall number of prostate cancers and has been recommended by the American Urological Association and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
2. Eat your cruciferous veggies: It’s no wonder your mother encouraged you to eat your broccoli. Men who eat broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, kale, cabbage, bok choy and similar green leafy vegetables more than once a week are 40 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer.
3. Bring on the tomato products: Diets rich in tomato products have been linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer. This may be due to the anti-oxidant lycopene although this is still uncertain. Studies have also found that canned or processed tomato products may be more effective than fresh tomatoes from the grocery store.
4. Have frequent sex: Studies have shown that men who ejaculate more frequently may have a lower risk of prostate cancer.
5. Eat a healthy diet: Increased prostate cancer risk has been associated with diets that are high in saturated fats, particularly those from red meats. Limiting red meat consumption, maintaining a high intake of fruits and vegetables and limiting alcohol intake to moderate amounts have all been associated with lower prostate risk.
6. Eliminate belly fat: There’s nothing good about visceral fat (the fat inside the abdomen). It produces inflammatory chemicals and alters hormone ratios in ways that increase the risk of many types of cancer, including prostate cancer. Even if you don’t lower your total weight, shifting fat from visceral belly fat to much less dangerous subcutaneous fat (fatty tissue lying directly under the skin) can lower your health risks. Following a low glycemic index diet and maintaining high levels of physical activity can reduce your visceral fat.