Saint Francis Hospital South offers advanced inpatient and outpatient surgical services. From same-day ear, nose and throat procedures, gall bladder surgery and hernia repair, to critical inpatient procedures, the physicians and surgical staff of Saint Francis Hospital South are among the very finest.
Surgical services offered at Saint Francis Hospital South include:
- General Surgery: From colon and gallbladder, to hernia surgery, Saint Francis Hospital South's board-certified surgeons and staff provide the highest quality care.
- Gynecological Surgery: Our gynecologists provide surgeries to treat a wide range of conditions including abnormal bleeding, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, pelvic pain, and other gynecological disorders.
- Orthopedic Surgery: Saint Francis Hospital South's orthopedic surgeons and staff are dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the musculoskeletal system, including sports medicine and total joint replacements.
- ENT (Otolaryngology-Head and Neck) Surgery: Our specialists provide a wide range of surgical treatments and interventions for the ears, nose, throat and related structures of the head and neck.
- Urology: From kidney stones and bladder tumors, to prostate disease, Saint Francis Hospital South's Surgery Department provides patient-centered urologic care of the highest quality.
- Neuro/Spine: Neuro/spine surgeries at Saint Francis Hospital South range from the traditional to the complex.
- Plastic Surgery: Our team is dedicated to helping patients enhance their appearance using the safest techniques available. Saint Francis Hospital South provides liposuction, breast enhancement, breast reconstruction and tummy tucks.
- Hand-Elective and Trauma: Saint Francis Hospital South's Hand surgeons are dedicated to the treatment of hand disorders and trauma.
Regardless of the type or complexity of surgery our patients require, Saint Francis Hospital South's board-certified surgeons and experienced staff members are focused on providing each patient with excellent care.
The Surgery Department/Operating Room (OR)
Saint Francis Hospital South's Surgery Department/Operating Room provides a comprehensive scope of surgical and anesthesia services. Equipped with four spacious operating rooms, Saint Francis Hospital South's Surgery Department treats patients of all ages.
Professional anesthesia services are provided for Saint Francis Health System, including Saint Francis Hospital South by members of Associated Anesthesiologists, Incorporated. This includes board-certified anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA).
Saint Francis Hospital South's recovery room consists of nine patient care areas. Our skilled staff provides comprehensive care to ensure adequate pain control and patient safety. In situations when patients are unable to communicate effectively, pain assessments are conducted using the Wong-Baker FACES Pain Rating Scale
. Once patients become more alert and are better able to communicate, our staff continues to closely monitor pain levels by using a number scale which measures pain on a scale from one to ten (ten being the most painful).
Saint Francis South's endoscopy unit consists of four procedure rooms and 12 patient rooms. Gastroenterologists and surgeons perform a variety of procedures in the endoscopy unit, with highly qualified staff members assisting with therapeutic interventions, when needed.
Endoscopy services provided at Saint Francis Hospital South include:
- Esophogastroduedenoscopy (EGD): A minimally invasive procedure used to evaluate, test and treat the esophagus and stomach
- Colonoscopy: The endoscopic examination of the colon and rectum, followed by the removal of polyps, testing and treatment as necessary
- Esophageal Motility Study: The measurement of esophageal pressure and peristalsis (contraction and relaxation of muscles) to assess the motor function of the upper and lower esophagus
Outpatient Care Unit
The Outpatient Care Unit of Saint Francis Hospital South provides a wide range of services dedicated to giving patients access to excellent hospital care in an outpatient environment. In our 12-bed unit, specially trained nurses and personnel are equipped to care for a broad range of patient needs.
Outpatient services offered at Saint Francis Hospital South include:
- Pre-Admission Testing: During patients' pre-admission testing visit, staff will review history, physical information and medications. Patients receive pre-operative instructions to help prepare them for surgery and surgical recovery. At this time, an anesthesiologist is also available to answer questions and address any concerns patients may have.
- Pre- and Post-Surgical Care: Before and after surgery, outpatients receive care in a private room in the Outpatient Care Unit. Pain management, safety and meeting each patient's and their family's needs is the focus of our care. Specially trained and compassionate staff ensures each patient receives excellent care. Discharge instructions are provided to each patient and their families before they are discharged.
- Pre- and Post-Heart Catheterization Care: Patients are prepared for their heart catheterization in the Outpatient Care Unit. Skilled staff will also care for patients following their heart catheterization and in preparing for discharge.
- Infusion: The Outpatient Care Unit of Saint Francis Hospital South provides infusion services for patients needing intravenous (IV) infusion of blood, antibiotics, immunotherapy or other medications or injections.
- Pain Management: Saint Francis Hospital South provides a procedure room in the Outpatient Care Unit specially dedicated to pain management services. Injections and other pain management procedures are administered by a pain management physician who is assisted by a highly trained and caring staff.