Maternal fetal medicine physicians specialize in providing care for women who are at high risk for problems during their pregnancies. These specialists complement obstetricians, and they can co-manage complex conditions before or during pregnancy.
Examples of a high-risk pregnancy may include women with one or more of the following conditions:
- A pre-existing medical condition, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Conception occurred while taking certain medications for other health issues
- Age 35 years or older at the time of delivery
- A medical history of a prior stillbirth or recurrent miscarriage
- Development of pregnancy complications, such as preterm labor, too much or too little amniotic fluid, infection, vaginal bleeding, gestational diabetes or high blood pressure
- Complications found or suspected in the fetus, such as birth defects including cleft lip or heart defect, infections or medical issues such as Down syndrome.
- Abnormal placentas or conditions, such as placenta previa or an abruption
- Multiple fetuses such as twins or triplets
Warren Clinic maternal fetal medicine specialist, J. Stephen Jones, M.D.
, has expertise across the wide range of problems that might occur during pregnancy or labor and delivery.
A maternal fetal medicine specialist may provide:
- Advanced prenatal diagnostic studies
- Pre-pregnancy evaluations
- First trimester screening
- Detailed obstetric ultrasound
- Diagnosis and treatment planning for medical and pregnancy-related complications in the mother-to-be
- Diagnosis and treatment planning for medical complications in the unborn baby
Learn More About Maternal Fetal Medicine
at Warren Clinic
For more information, contact the office of Dr. Jones at 918-502-4636